Tuesday, November 25, 2014

embryo adoption awareness day.


Today, November 25, marks Embryo Adoption Awareness Day. From the blog Wishing on a Snowflake:
"November is already known as National Adoption Month, so what better time to recognize EDA and spread awareness than during November? Also, with it falling near Thanksgiving, it gives us the ability to discuss the gratitude that EA brings to many families."
Liz is one of the most vocal advocates of Embryo adoption I've encountered. She's the founder of the super-secret Facebook support group I belong to for women pursuing the EA path - the one Kindred added me to before I knew I was definitely going to be pursuing that path myself. Interestingly enough, I actually found Liz's blog when I was researching whether or not you could get a colonoscopy when TTC. Then started following it. It took me a week or so to recognize the super-secret FB group connection.

The world works in mysterious ways.

Liz, who has severe DOR like I do, has been all over the news lately, sharing the story of how she and her husband came to adopt their daughter Sammy as an embryo. She recently wrote a post that includes links to the People.com coverage and a segment that appeared on Good Morning America.

The other person I feel compelled to mention on this day is Sara from Chronicles of An Adoption. She's a frequent commenter on this blog and has been just a lovely source of support. Sara's pursuit of parenthood is admirable and inspiring, and if you're not familiar with her blog, I encourage you to check it out immediately.

Here's Sara's post about Embryo Adoption Awareness Day.

This day of awareness is important to me personally, too. In the relatively short time I've been on this path I've educated at least two women about using donor/adopted embryos - one who's a confirmed infertile who thought traditional adoption was her only option, and one who's concerned that she may be infertile but doesn't have confirmation of this yet. I've educated others as well, but I think these two stick out the most because having this information could someday change their lives as it has mine.

And though she'll likely never read this, I want to say thanks to G, a woman from my in-person Resolve support group who became a mom through EA earlier this year. I'd never even heard about using donor embryos myself until I met her and listened to her story.

I wish I could contribute more to the cause, but I'm still a closeted infertile, for the most part. And, when it comes to using donor embryos, I'm not sure how much I'm willing to share beyond my innermost circle.

But I applaud these women, and am grateful for all that they've done and continue to do in our corner of the IF community.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out. :) That's awesome you've been able to already share EA with others. It was in the back of my mind, way in the back, but when other options didn't pan out, I'm glad I was aware it's an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You deserve more than a shout-out, Sara. You are made of awesome.

      Delete